For Audi, the DTM Norisring win was an end to an 11-year wait and they had done that prospectively amidst the crash at the end of the race. However, this did not last for long, the win was stripped off them giving it to Mercedes who now held the top three positions, Audi has since filed for an appeal.
The race was fair, it was Mattias Ekstrom who finished first in his ABT Audi and he was followed second and third by Robert Wickens and Christian Vietoris of the HWA Mercedes team. Gary Paffett and Edoardo Mortara crashed while scrambling for third position. This was more of ‘who had the best game plan’ as
Ekstrom benefited most when the safety car showed up. He was fourth at the time but managed to take out Bruno Spengler in his Schnitzer BMW and the HWA Mercedes of Robert Wickens. He was now second behind Mortara, thankfully these two had pitted before the safety car showed up and all was left to him. After pitting during the final 10 laps, Ekstrom emerged the lucky fast.
Too bad this victory only lasted for a short period; his win was disparaged as he was accused of breaking the series’ parc ferme regulations when he was given water to drink. This was during the celebration moment. The win went to Robert Wickens, second came Christian Vietoris while third position went to Daniel Juncadella of the Mucke Mercedes, giving Mercedes three wins.
Ekstrom was also given a 1000 Euro fine, next DTM race takes place in Moscow.
Results – 83 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1h12m14.698s
1. Robert Wickens HWA Mercedes +2.646s
2. Christian Vietoris HWA Mercedes +6.282s
3. Daniel Juncadella Mucke Mercedes +7.039s
4. Mike Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi +8.411s
5. Bruno Spengler Schnitzer BMW +17.083s
6. Roberto Merhi HWA Mercedes +18.594s
7. Joey Hand RBM BMW +31.198s
8. Andy Priaulx RMG BMW +34.909s
9. Marco Wittmann MTEK BMW +35.595s
10. Dirk Werner Schnitzer BMW +40.426s
11. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi +42.675s
12. Timo Glock MTEK BMW +42.867s
13. Miguel Molina Phoenix Audi +44.568s
14. Adrien Tambay Abt Audi +54.091s
15. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW +1 lap
Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 81 laps
Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 81 laps
Jamie Green Abt Audi 65 laps
Pascal Wehrlein Mucke Mercedes 65 laps
Martin Tomczyk RMG BMW 11 laps
Timo Scheider Abt Audi 0 laps