This weekend has seen one of the 24 hour GT races within the UK, which was held at Silverstone’s Grand Prix circuit, Situated in Northamptonshire.
The 24 hour race is a test of the cars endurance abilities as well as the driver and teams skills both on and off the track. The race started on Saturday 22nd September 2012 at 3.30pm after a grid walk of over one hour. This was great for the spectators as it gave them the chance to see the cars up close.
The race consisted of four classes and 34 race cars taking to the track. Before the start of the race the general feeling was that it was a fight between two cars, the No.17 Mosler MT900 and No.6 Ginetta G55 GT3 who took pole position. However in the actual race conditions both cars faced problems throughout which resulted in the Mosler finishing in sixth 51 laps behind the winner. The Ginetta G55 GT3 finished in 21st position 162 laps down on the BMW winner.
The race result was far from what was predicted the MP Motorsport BMW E46 GTR won the 24 hour race with a full four lap lead ahead of No.16 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 and No.60 Aston Martin GT4. The race conditions for Saturday afternoon were day but as dark fell upon the track the temperature dropped and resulted in many cars running off track. Once the drivers and tyres got used to the night time driving normal race conditions continued. The weather turned to rain on Sunday for the completion of the race which resulted in the lap times slowing.
The winning BMW was in class two and won the race ahead of the eight cars which were in class one and class two. It was a fantastic result for the drivers Richard Abra, Mark Poole, Clint Bardwell and Michael Symons. The car ran with no faults or issues throughout the 24 hours unlike other teams in the paddock.
After the race Richard Abra one of the race winners who crossed the finish line told me “amazing race didnt think we actually had a chance of winning till the last two hours rarara”. The race win was well deserved and is an amazing result for the drivers and team involved.
Class One results
1) MB Racing – West/Wall/Brown/Cripps
2) Neil Garner Motorsport – White/Cintrano/Morcillo/Sharpe
3) Team LNT – Tomlinson/Kimber-Smith/Dean/Simpson
Class Two results
1) MP Motorsport – Poole/Symons/Bardwell/Abra (overall race winner)
2) Optimum Motorsport – Osborne/Mowle/Fletcher/Rattenbury
3) GT Classic – Fairbairn/Littlejohn/McLean
Class Three results
1) Perfection Racing – Spires/Jensen/Johanson/Holmgaard/Klosterman
2) MMC Motorsport – Spencer/Cassar/Lewis/Pettit
3) Corum Sport – Anley/Joseph/Hyman/Ellis
Class Four results
1) Red Camel.nl – Breukers/Thijssen/de Heus
2) Brunswick Automotive – Griffiths/Green/Kirkpatrick/Forsbrey
3) Team Toyota GB – Hodgetts/Hodgetts/Primrose/Meaden