Sunday 20 October 2013 Kiambu, Kenya- Kiamburing TT is the motorsports event that we previewed a few days back; it took place last weekend attracting a great number of participants and spectators in the serene highlands of Kiambu. The popularity of motor sports in Kenya and the region went a notch higher with the debut of this Super car Timed Trial racing event.
The event held in Kiambu County brought together over 15 high performance cars to compete in a timed race on the 18km Kiambu-Ndumberi road with the winner being the car that takes the shortest time from start to finish. The event coincided with Mashujaa Day Celebrations which is a national holiday in Kenya celebrating the heroes of the country.
The cars were fast enough to set quick times on the hill climb which boasts of several hairpins, a Mitsubishi Evolution 6 Extreme driven by Amir Mohamed was the fastest car with the other participants finishing close behind his 6.34 time. As for the participants, they spent their day enjoying the great view of the tea plantations where the race track runs through not to mention the cool and quiet environment.
Commenting on the event, Joe Murai, Director at Motor Traders and the event Coordinator, said that this event was organized to give motor-racing fans a firsthand experience on what super car racing is all about.
We have quiet a number of Supercars in Kenya and the owners and lovers of supercar racing have for a long time yearned for an event that will let the beast out of their cars in a safe and controlled environment,” says Mr Murai.
It is rather unfortunate that some of these individuals do not get a chance to enjoy their high performance cars to the limit. Kiamburing TT is the event that will offer them a platform to ensure that they experience the adrenaline rush, have fun and test the limits of their super cars in a safe and controlled environment.
We came to have fun and interact with the community, as a policy any race we organize we ensure that it is geared towards leaving a positive impact with the community we interact hence part of the money raised from the event will go towards charity.
The race event is themed along similar annual international events like Pikes Peak Hill Climb in the USA, Isle of Man Time Trial in the UK and the German Nurburgring race. The racing event is not only about racing and having fun but also about social responsibility. Part of the money raised will go towards charity with a school in the Ndumberi area being identified as a beneficiary of this charity.
Away from the race event, race fanatics and other fans got back together in the village to have a good time and also got to see and feel the vehicles up-close some of which many were seeing for the first time.
Results (Time in min:sec)
1) Car No. 1 Mitsubishi Evolution 6 Extreme driven by Amir Mohamed 6:34
2) Car No. 2 Nissan GTR R35 Black Edition driven by Charles Munga-6:52
3) Car No. 7 Subaru Impreza STi N11 driven by Champezz Kariuki-6:54
4) Car No. 3 Subaru Impreza STi N14 driven by Jai Patel-6:57
5) Car No. 9 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 driven by Umang-7:19
6) Car No. 5 VW Golf GTi Mk5 driven by Joseph Thuo-7:43
7) Car No. 16 Subaru Impreza STi N10 driven by Chebii-8:15
7) Car No. 11 Subaru Impreza WRX driven by Brian Sirma-8:15
9) Car No. 10 Subaru Impreza STi N10 driven by Louis Nyamwaya-9:02
10) Car No. 8 Toyota Fielder Z driven by Peter Cox-9:45
11) Car No. 12 Subaru Legacy driven by Christopher Paul Awd-some- 10:09
1) Car No. 3 Subaru Impreza STi N14 driven by Jai Patel-6:52
2) Car No. 9 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 driven by Umang-7:10
3) Car No. 5 VW Golf GTi Mk5 driven by Joseph Thuo-7:38
4) Car No. 12 Subaru Legacy driven by Christopher Paul Awd-some-7:45
5) Car No. 11 Subaru Impreza WRX driven by Brian Sirma-8:01
6) Car No. 10 Subaru Impreza STi N10 driven by Louis Nyamwaya-8:22
7) Car No. 8 Toyota Fielder Z driven by Peter Cox-8:25
8 ) Car No. 16 Subaru Impreza STi N10 driven by Chebii